Wednesday, October 7, 2009

walking in bristol


hello. blog update. i have moved to bristol and begun to revisit this material in relation to my new location.

are people in Bristol going to be interested in maps of Paris?
shall i do the same walks in Bristol?
should i compare the cities?

I have begun to write as i did in Paris, but the urge to map it has not occured yet.
I have a job. friends. a life. unlike Paris - my circumstances a different, it would feel forced to repeat the same processes.

VICTORIA PARK

It’s sunny in Victoria park today

I’ve got sandwiches in tin foil and water in a lucazade bottle

Its 14.55.

People are walking dogs or babies. Holding leads or pushing prams.

I came hear to watch them.

To spend some time in the sun.

To stop sneezing in my dusty house with rotten carpet and greasy sink water.

‘fuck you you horrible cunt’ he shout

the park becomes uneasy

he sprints down the hill for sprinting sake, his blue jacket billowing.

I have begun to collect these observations to make a zine for Spike Islands Artists book and zine fair (31st) - what the zines will look like i am unsure.

I have strategies for coping with a new place – with being lost in a new city

 

-       Find places inside (libraries/churches)

-       Look content

-       Avoid public transport

-       Spread errands out, be leisurely

-       Take up every ‘small talk’ opportunity

-       Find a small patches of grass

 

When we moved to Bristol there were pianos in the streets

I think i should walk with people...couchsurf again...contact people in paris walk with them. people in england...walk with them.

i get excited again now im writing about it.

I want the work to become about Bristol, as it was about Paris.


 

No comments: