Thursday, November 27, 2008

HOW I USE MY CAMCORDER...

to collect;

to save;

to pry;

to catch the end;

to show;

to have;

to experiment;

can i make my camera walk?...

Since being in Paris i have built a library of video. This library goes under the title 'Paris Postcard'. Since i have been in Paris my mum has been keeping all my postcards in an envelope, probably on the mantle piece, or above the microwave in the kitchen..or possibly in her bedroom as she said she has been practicing reading them.

On return to England i intend to join these moving images and written words to create 'Paris Postcard', a sort of documentary, of my videos and my mothers recorded voice (reading the postcards). This is inspired by Chris Marker's 'sans soleil'.

Experimenting with the combination of moving images and narrating text. like a postcard; a choice of image, a choice of words, to communicate a place. does the text have to be about the image? what happens when you hear about one place whilst looking at another...?...

i am collecting, gathering, waiting..

i treat video like i treat my walks.

i am collaborating with chance.

i walk out of the door/i press record.

i create a frame. the street/the route/the lens.

i allow the city to act, for people to pass, to capture/witness what occurs, within this frame.

by being there, by witnessing, by recording, the everyday events/objects/sounds of a particular place at a particular time become precious, archived in my cameras memory....buried into my own memory to gradually become lost, deteriorate and fade away.

No comments: