Sunday, November 30, 2008

leaving a mark - a small act of rebellion

After a conversation about the power of quotes, and thoughts about my relationship with the city - i walked and left these marks (look for the red tape);
















I mapped my walk as i walked. marking places that i felt needed it. the length of red tape in response to the space. leaving messages for passers by. Being pleased with my fleeting existence, and the fragility of the red tape. curious of who would read it, and what they would think. being anonymous, but not invisible. adding to the image of the city, my bit of red tape.





'in the south of Russia it is a an old tradition to leave a piece of red tape of cloth around a tree as a sign that you will once return there'





A second walk continued this exploration of leaving a trace of my walk, this time i had researched into the Graffiti of May 1968 and the revolution being directly influenced by the Situationists, i felt a political spin on my walk - walking as a small act of rebellion. i put my messages in a place where they would be seen (postboxes) and wrote them in french.





(Poetry is in the streets - a direct quote from May '68 Graffiti)




(Take a long a walk without a map)




(I like a stroll)




(You could be anywhere)

These walks pose a new exchange between me and the city - leaving rather than taking.
My walk lingers longer than my presence - lingering until the writing has been washed away or the red tape ripped off.

No comments: